Join us on September 12, 2021
Register Now Donate
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness Pittsburgh Walk
Location: Highmark Stadium - Pittsburgh, PA
Time: 10:30 am - 1:00 pm
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Leila Bouabdelloui
Contact Phone: 412-259-3352
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration is free and open to the public. Donations are accepted until December 31st.
We are so excited to be able to have this event in-person this year and are so grateful to all of you for your continued support of the Pittsburgh Walk! Even though things have had to look a bit different, we have done our best to bring this walk back to the hopeful, healing event that we have seen in years past. We did have to make some changes to accommodate current guidelines, but have done our best to keep the day as close to past events as possible and we appreciate your patience and understanding as we navigate the day with those changes. Below, you will find information you will need for walk day. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.
- There will be a parking fee this year. Due to changes in Highmark's policies, there will be a $10 parking fee that will directly benefit AFSP Western PA. This will be a cash only fee and will be paid upon entering the parking lot outside of Highmark Stadium.
- Water bottles will be made available on site instead of water jugs. As a reminder, no food or drink other than water is permitted on the field.
- We will not require attendees to wear masks. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to wear a mask if they feel safer doing so, and we will make masks available upon request. Hand sanitizer will also be available throughout the stadium.
- AFSP will not be verifying vaccination status at the walk. We ask that everyone continue to maintain a 6-foot distance from people outside of their household and to stay home if they are sick or exhibit any symptoms of COVID-19 or seasonal flu. If you are experiencing those symptoms or do not feel comfortable coming in person, we will be livestreaming the event on our Western PA Facebook Event Page.
- The walk route this year will take walkers out of the stadium under the balloon arch. Walkers will turn right and travel along the road that runs along the stadium towards the Duquesne Incline. The street will be closed between the stadium and the incline to allow us to walk. There will be volunteers guiding you to where you will turn to walk along the river trail, back down and around Highmark Stadium. The trail will continue past Bessemer Court and the Hard Rock Cafe, with the turn around in the parking lot past the new condominiums. You will then reenter the river trail and head back down towards the stadium where there will be a turn at the water station to reenter the stadium. You do not have to walk the entire route. Only do what you feel you can do.
Having trouble registering? Click here to view a step-by-step guide. Refer to page 1 if you’re registering yourself or page 5 if you’re registering someone else through your own account. Be sure to also check out some of the Frequently Asked Questions on page 10.
If you’ve already registered and would like to either create a new team or join an existing one, log into your AFSP account and click on the “change team membership” option on the right hand side of your dashboard tab (on mobile you’ll need to click “dashboard” first).
Our community has always been the heart of the Out of the Darkness Walks. Your safety and well-being will always be our top priority, and while we remain hopeful that we'll be able to gather in person once again this fall, we are closely monitoring CDC and local guidelines and will continue to share updates in the coming weeks and months.
Though there are many unknowns, there are a few things we know for sure:
- You belong to a strong community united in an effort to fight suicide while showing up for yourself, recognizing and honoring those you love, raising awareness, educating communities, supporting one another, and sharing hope.
- We remain dedicated to providing you with opportunities to connect, heal, share stories, create impact, and show you that you are not alone.
- Mental Health and suicide prevention are more important than ever, and we’re confident that with your help we can reach more people than ever before.
2021 Pittsburgh Team Challenge
Become a Sponsor
Download the Pittsburgh Walk Sponsorship Packet. With opportunities starting at only $500, this is the perfect chance for large and small businesses to play a role in making suicide prevention a priority in the community. All sponsors will receive marketing and publicity benefits.
Help Spread the Word!
Download the Pittsburgh Walk Event Flyer to share in your community. Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! Use the hashtags #OutoftheDarkness and #TogetherToFightSuicide
Follow us on Facebook! Post to your Facebook page and add the direct link to your fundraising page.
Follow us on Twitter! If you are on Twitter, Tweet about the event. Don’t forget to add #outofthedarkness to your tweets!
Follow us on Instagram! Share and tag your photos with #outofthedarkness! Spread the word and ask for support by sharing the videos and social shares in the participant hub.
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. One of the best ways to raise awareness and increase understanding is by sharing your story.
Raise $150 by 09/12/2021 and receive an official Out of the Darkness T-shirt!
Activities of Hope and Healing
Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection. There is an honor bead for everyone, whether you have lost a loved one, struggle personally, support a friend and/or family member, or all of the above. Learn more by watching our honor bead video.
The Out of the Darkness Experience is a journey of remembrance, hope, and support. It unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about.
If you're looking for resources, please visit www.afsp.org/resources.
Thank you for your support!