Join us on November 6, 2021Register Now Donate
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness Louisville Walk
Location: Waterfront Park
Registration: 9:00 am
Event Time: 9:00 am - 7:00 pm*
*Multiple Walk waves starting at 10:00 am, 12:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 4:00 pm, and 6:00 pm.
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Samantha MacKenzie & Alisha Ash
Contact Phone: 502-791-5643
Contact Email: LouisvilleOOTD@gmail.com
Join Us Today
The Louisville Walk is moving forward with planning for a full day event! Join us anytime between 9 AM and 7 PM to walk and engage with us. There will be multiple walk waves with opening ceremonies at 10 AM, 12 PM, 2 PM, 4 PM, and 6 PM. There will also be a variety of activities, trainings, and resources throughout the day, and we will update registered walkers with a schedule soon!
Register today to stay up to date on the latest news and announcements for the Louisville Walk.
Registration is free and open to the public. Donations are accepted until December 31st.
Refit Class @ Jtown LAC - August 6th at 6:30
Join us for REFIT- a workout for your body, mind, and heart, for a donations-based class at Louisville Athletic Club’s JTown Location. Entry to LAC is free for this benefit class!
Dine to Donate @ The Village Anchor - August 8th from 5 PM - 9 PM
By safely dining in or carrying out, you can raise money for the Louisville Walk! There is no extra cost to you. Just mention American Foundation for Suicide Prevention when you place your order in-person or over the phone or enter promo code AFSP when you order online and up to 10% of your check will be donated to the cause!
Check out walk kickoff week information below for more fundraising & engagement opportunities!
Kentucky Chapter Walk Kickoff Week
- Online Walker training on August 9th at 11AM EST - Register here
- Chair Chat on Facebook Live & YouTube
- Why I Walk posts (tag @KentuckyAFSP) or submission (submit story here)
- Kentucky Chapter Volunteer Orientation - Registration required here
- Daily Walk Challenges: (click here for donordrive tips)
- Sunday - Link Fundraiser to Facebook
- Monday - Share and post about the walk on FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Tuesday - Customize your personal fundraising page and your team page!
- Wednesday - Send at least 10 recruitment emails or reach out to past donors through Donor Drive
- Thursday - Grow your team! Add 5 or more people to your team
- Friday - Ask for donations! Fundraise $25 or more
- Saturday - Increase your fundraising goal
In-Person Activities for Louisville:
- Hops for Hope
- What: Louisville Walk Kickoff
- Where: Apocalypse Brew Works - 1612 Mellwood Ave., Louisville, KY 40206
- When: August 7th from 5 PM - 9 PM
- Description: Meet other walkers, win prizes, drink beer, eat food, get resources, merch, and more! It's free to enter, but donations are encouraged!
- Dine to Donate
- What: Dine with us for a portion of your bill to be donated to fighting suicide!
- Where: The Village Anchor - 11507 Park Road, Anchorage, KY 40223
- When: August 8th from 5 PM - 9 PM
- Description: By safely dining in or carrying out, you can raise money for the Louisville Walk! There is no extra cost to you. Just mention American Foundation for Suicide Prevention when you place your order in-person or over the phone or enter promo code AFSP when you order online and up to 10% of your check will be donated to the cause!
- Mocha Monday
- What: Grab a coffee with a Louisville Walk Coffee Sleeve at any of our partner locations!
- Where: Red Hot Roasters & Blackbeard Espresso - more partners coming soon!
- When: August 9th - Location operating hours
- Description: Get your coffee and snap a pic with the Louisville Walk coffee sleeve! Tag @KentuckyAFSP on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!
- Shop & Support
- What: Kendra Scott Fundraiser
- Where: Kendra Scott Store - 7900 Shelbyville Rd b-10, Louisville, KY 40222
- When: August 13th - 14th
- Description: Promo code & additional details coming soon!
Having trouble registering? Click here to view a step-by-step guide. Refer to page 1 if you’re registering yourself or page 5 if you’re registering someone else through your own account. Be sure to also check out some of the Frequently Asked Questions on page 10.
If you’ve already registered and would like to either create a new team or join an existing one, log into your AFSP account and click on the “change team membership” option on the right hand side of your dashboard tab (on mobile you’ll need to click “dashboard” first).
Our community has always been the heart of the Out of the Darkness Walks. The global pandemic has impacted the emotional and economic well-being of many individuals and families, and left many of us to manage a variety of emotions, including feelings of uncertainty. We also know increases in suicide are not a foregone conclusion if we act now to mitigate risk and support the mental health of our friends, families, and neighbors. But we need your help. Every dollar you raise through the Out of the Darkness Walks allows AFSP to invest in life-saving research, education, advocacy, and support for those impacted by suicide.
Summer Fundraising Challenge
Help Spread the Word!
Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! Use the hashtags #OutoftheDarkness and #TogetherToFightSuicide. Download and print a Walk Flyer to share in your community!
Follow us on Facebook! Post to your Facebook page and add the direct link to your fundraising page.
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. One of the best ways to raise awareness and increase understanding is by sharing your story.
Help us partner with more businesses and groups in the community! Download a sponsor packet to share with your employer or any businesses you may know. Sponsorships start as low as $500. You can also request a custom sponsor packet here.
Raise $150 by 11/06/2021 and receive an official Out of the Darkness T-shirt!
Activities of Hope and Healing
Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection. There is an honor bead for everyone, whether you have lost a loved one, struggle personally, support a friend and/or family member, or all of the above. Learn more by watching our honor bead video.
The Out of the Darkness Experience is a journey of remembrance, hope, and support. It unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about.
If you're looking for resources, please visit www.afsp.org/resources.