Join us on October 1, 2022Donate
Walk Date: 10/01/2022
Walk Location: Cregger Center, Roanoke College
Walk Start Time: 10:00 am
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Markita Madden, Virginia Programs Manager
Contact Phone: (540) 718-2221
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Name: Emily Bacalis, Special Events Manager
Contact Phone: 202-839-2174
Contact Email: email@example.com
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness
PLEASE WATCH YOUR EMAIL, THIS WEBSITE, AND OUR FACEBOOK GROUP FOR EVENT UPDATES AS WE APPROACH THE EVENT THIS WEEKEND.
- IMPORTANT - Please bring a filled water bottle with you to the event. We will have some beverages available onsite, but we encourage walkers to bring a filled water bottle to carry with them.
- We will be following CDC and event venue guidelines with regard to mask wearing and other restrictions. AFSP will not be verifying vaccination status. However, we ask that you please stay home if you or anyone in your household are sick or exhibit any symptoms of COVID-19 or the seasonal flu. If you are experiencing these symptoms, have come into contact with someone who is experiencing these symptoms, we ask that you please do not attend the event.
- Pre-registered walkers do not need to check-in at registration. If you have raised the $150 and earned an official walk t-shirt, please stop at our event T-shirt table to pick up your shirt. You will also be able to turn in cash and check donations at registration. To pre-register, visit afsp.org/salem-roanoke.
- We walk rain or shine - WE HAVE MOVED INDOORS. Due to the likely possibility of inclement weather, we have made the decision to move indoors at Cregger Center for our entire event, to include the walk portion.
- Dogs are NOT allowed in Cregger Center.
- A limited selection of merchandise will be available for purchase on walk day. Credit cards and cash will be accepted. No checks for merchandise, please.
- Bring a new pair of socks that reminds you of your loved one for our honor/remembrance activity. Cards will be available for you to write your loved one's name and socks will be donated to local agencies following the event in their honor.
- Please see the Roanoke College campus map below for parking information.
The opening ceremony will begin at 10AM with the walk immediately following. We encourage you to arrive a few minutes early to visit our community partner tables, get your honor beads, pick up a Why I Walk Button, etc.
The Out of the Darkness Community Walk is a journey of remembrance, hope, and support. It unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental health conditions have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about.
Returning participant? Thank you for being a Walk Alumni! When you click the register button be sure to click the blue Login link under "Been Here Before?"
Having trouble registering? Click here to view a step-by-step guide. See FAQs below if you have any questions.
If you’ve already registered and would like to either create a new team or join an existing one, log into your account and click on the “change team membership” option on the right hand side of your dashboard tab (on mobile you’ll need to click “dashboard” first). View this video tutorial for more help.
There's now an app to make it even easier to raise funds and receive updates!
Click below to get started!
And don't forget about all the ways you can FUNdraise!
Ways You Can Help
Volunteer at the Event
Become a Sponsor
Sponsoring the Salem-Roanoke Walk shows your community and employees that your business cares about mental health and preventing suicide. Become a partner to help stop this leading cause of death.
Fundraise to Help #StopSuicide
Promote the Walk in Your Community!
Follow us on social! @OOTDWalks
Post on your social accounts and share why you walk with your community!
Day-of Experience: Resources & Activities
Stop by the AFSP Store for merchandise, pick-up beads at the Honor Bead tent, and more!
Honor Beads will be available on-site to show your connection(s) to the cause.
Hope & Healing
Register by clicking the button at the top of the page
Thank you participants, volunteers, donors, and sponsors for your support! Together, we can save lives and bring hope.
If you or someone you know is in a crisis, please call 1-800-273-8255 or text TALK to 741-741