Sandhills Region Virtual Walk
Join us on November 13, 2021
Register Now Donate
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness Sandhills Region Virtual Walk
Event Time: 12:00pm
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Sarah Cothren
Contact Phone: 919.356.2488
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Join Us Today
Due to scheduling and logistical concerns arising due to COVID-19, the Sandhills Region Out of the Darkness Walk will be a virtual event on November 13, 2021.
- PART ONE of our event will be a Virtual Opening Program at 12 noon. All participants who register online will be sent info to join the program, which will bring together all walkers for a single high-impact event. The Virtual Opening Program will include an Honor Beads Ceremony and so much more.
- PART TWO of our event will be a Local Walk Challenge immediately following the opening program. All Out of the Darkness participants will be challenged to walk in their neighborhoods, on campus, at a park, or even on a treadmill indoors ….. then via social media, we will share photos, miles/steps taken, words of encouragement, “I Walk For” posters, video clips, and more.
Now, more than ever, it’s important to be there for one another and take steps to safeguard our mental health and prevent suicide.
Register today to stay up to date on the latest news and announcements for the Western North Carolina Walk.
Registration is free and open to the public. Donations are accepted until December 31st.
Having trouble registering? Click here to view a step-by-step guide. Refer to page 1 if you’re registering yourself or page 5 if you’re registering someone else through your own account. Be sure to also check out some of the Frequently Asked Questions on page 10.
If you’ve already registered and would like to either create a new team or join an existing one, log into your AFSP account and click on the “change team membership” option on the right hand side of your dashboard tab (on mobile you’ll need to click “dashboard” first).
Our community has always been the heart of the Out of the Darkness Walks. Your safety and well-being will always be our top priority, and while we remain hopeful that we'll be able to gather in person once again this fall, we are closely monitoring CDC and local guidelines and will continue to share updates in the coming weeks and months.
Though there are many unknowns, there are a few things we know for sure:
- You belong to a strong community united in an effort to fight suicide while showing up for yourself, recognizing and honoring those you love, raising awareness, educating communities, supporting one another, and sharing hope.
- We remain dedicated to providing you with opportunities to connect, heal, share stories, create impact, and show you that you are not alone.
- Mental Health and suicide prevention are more important than ever, and we’re confident that with your help we can reach more people than ever before.
Help Spread the Word!
Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! Use the hashtags #OutoftheDarkness and #TogetherToFightSuicide
Follow us on Facebook! Post to your Facebook page and add the direct link to your fundraising page.
Follow us on Twitter! If you are on Twitter, Tweet about the event. Don’t forget to add #outofthedarkness to your tweets!
Follow us on Instagram! Share and tag your photos with #outofthedarkness! Spread the word and ask for support by sharing the videos and social shares in the participant hub.
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. One of the best ways to raise awareness and increase understanding is by sharing your story.
Walkers who raise $150 will receive their shirt in the mail. Shirts will be mailed to the address used to register so please ensure accuracy.
Activities of Hope and Healing
Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection. There is an honor bead for everyone, whether you have lost a loved one, struggle personally, support a friend and/or family member, or all of the above. Learn more by watching our honor bead video.
The Out of the Darkness Experience is a journey of remembrance, hope, and support. It unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about.
If you're looking for resources, please visit www.afsp.org/resources.
Thank you for your support!