East End Long Island Walk
Join us on September 26, 2021
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness East End Long Island Walk
Location: Smith Point County Park, 1 William Floyd Pkwy, Shirly, NY
Registration: 9:00 am
Event Time: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Phil Bianco and Ann Morrison
Contact Phone: 516-869-4215
Contact Email: LongIslandNY@afsp.org
Registration is free and open to the public. Donations are accepted until December 31st.
We are excited to announce that the East End Long Island Walk will be held IN PERSON!
- Smith Point County Park, Park in Parking lot, you will see tents and signage for Walk along the fence line. Follow signs.
- Walk will be a loop 1/2 mile long. To complete 3 miles you will loop around 6 times. You can complete as little or as many loops as you want
Begins at 9:00 am
- If you have already registered online and have no money to hand in, you DO NOT NEED to check in.
- If you have raised over $150 you can visit the check in to receive the Tee Shirt you earned.
- If you have checks/cash to hand in, you can visit check in and drop off donations
- If you have additional people who have not registered online ( we encourage you to have them do so before Sunday, it makes it easier) but want to join you, they can register on Sunday.
- You can continue to receive donations for this event until 12/31. If you did not qualify for an event tee shirt by the day of the walk, you can still earn one and it will be sent to you in the mail.
We are following CDC Guidelines and asking participants to ensure everyone's safety by practicing social distancing from people outside of the group you are participating with. We will have masks available, as well as hand sanitizer at tables.
- Walk will begin at 10:00 am.
- There will be a memorial area you can visit before the walk begins to write messages of Hope, honor a loved one lost. We will also have raffles, and a limited amount of AFSP merchandise for Sale.
- There will be music playing and an area to pick up water and a quick snack before the walk
- In an effort to reduce gathering times and keep the walk socially distanced and safe, we have created an interactive event and will be using QR codes to direct you to videos and messages throughout the Walk Route. We encourage you to bring your smartphone to take full advantage of the experience. If you don't have phone, we will be sending links for all of the videos used in an email following the event to all participants. You can still enjoy the walk and watch the videos later.
- We are expecting about 250 participants, if everyone completes 3 miles, you should be done by 11:00 -11:30.
We hope to create a powerful and meaningful event for all who participate. Your support of our mission is helping us to make an impact, creating a culture that's smart about mental health, and helping to save lives. We are looking forward to seeing you on Sunday!
We can't wait to see you all!
Having trouble registering? Click here to view a step-by-step guide. Refer to page 1 if you’re registering yourself or page 5 if you’re registering someone else through your own account. Be sure to also check out some of the Frequently Asked Questions on page 10.
If you’ve already registered and would like to either create a new team or join an existing one, log into your AFSP account and click on the “change team membership” option on the right hand side of your dashboard tab (on mobile you’ll need to click “dashboard” first).
Help Spread the Word!
Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! Use the hashtags #OutoftheDarkness and #TogetherToFightSuicide
Follow us on Facebook! Post to your Facebook page and add the direct link to your fundraising page.
Follow us on Twitter! If you are on Twitter, Tweet about the event. Don’t forget to add #outofthedarkness to your tweets!
Follow us on Instagram! Share and tag your photos with #outofthedarkness! Spread the word and ask for support by sharing the videos and social shares in the participant hub.
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. One of the best ways to raise awareness and increase understanding is by sharing your story.
Raise $150 by 09/26/2021 and receive an official Out of the Darkness T-shirt!
Activities of Hope and Healing
Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection. There is an honor bead for everyone, whether you have lost a loved one, struggle personally, support a friend and/or family member, or all of the above. Learn more by watching our honor bead video.
The Out of the Darkness Experience is a journey of remembrance, hope, and support. It unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about.
If you're looking for resources, please visit www.afsp.org/resources.
Thank you for your support!