Greater Shenandoah Valley/Charlottesville Walk
Join us on October 15, 2022
Walk Date: 10/15/2022
Walk Location: Gypsy Hill Park
Walk Start Time: 9:45 am
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Markita Madden-Puckett, Walk Chair
Contact Phone: 540-209-1675
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Name: Emily Bacalis, Special Events Manager
Contact Phone: 202-839-2174
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness
Greater Shenandoah Valley/Charlottesville Walk
PLEASE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP FOR EVENT UPDATES AS WE APPROACH THE EVENT TOMORROW, AND SHARE YOUR WALK PHOTOS IN THE GROUP WITH US!
- IMPORTANT - Please bring a filled water bottle with you to the event.
- We will be following CDC and event venue guidelines with regard to mask wearing and other restrictions. AFSP will not be verifying vaccination status. However, we ask that you please stay home if you or anyone in your household are sick or exhibit any symptoms of COVID-19 or the seasonal flu. If you are experiencing these symptoms, have come into contact with someone who is experiencing these symptoms, we ask that you please do not attend the event.
- Pre-registered walkers do not need to check-in at registration. If you have raised the $150 and earned an official walk t-shirt, please stop at our event T-shirt table to pick up your shirt. You will also be able to turn in cash and check donations at registration. To pre-register, visit afsp.org/gsv.
- The walk course is 1.3 miles long. While the course was originally set with the intention of completing 3 laps, everyone walks 1 lap together, and anyone wishing to walk additional laps may do so.
- We walk rain or shine. We will hold our event rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we may need to adjust our onsite activities, but we will walk whether or not it is raining.
- A limited selection of merchandise will be available for purchase on walk day. Credit cards and cash will be accepted. No checks for merchandise, please.
- Leashed, friendly dogs are welcome. Please come prepared to clean up after your pet.
- Free parking is available on a first come, first served basis. Parking is not reserved, as the park is open to the public. Walkers can park in any available spaces within the park.
- Please remember to bring socks in honor of your loved one for our memorial display. Cards will be available to include the name of your loved one with your donated socks.
The opening ceremony will begin at 9:45AM with the walk immediately following. We will assemble in the bandstand area of the park. We encourage you to arrive a few minutes early to visit our community partner tables, get your honor beads, pick up a Why I Walk Button, etc., before ceremonies begin.
Bring a new pair of socks that reminds you of your loved one for our honor/remembrance activity.
Cards will be available for you to write your loved one's name and socks will be donated to local agencies following the event in their honor.
The Out of the Darkness Community Walk is a journey of remembrance, hope, and support. It unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental health conditions have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about.
If you're looking for support and/or resources, please visit www.afsp.org/get-help and www.afsp.org/resources.
Returning participant? Thank you for being a Walk Alumni! When you click the register button be sure to click the blue Login link under "Been Here Before?"
Having trouble registering? Click here to view a step-by-step guide. See FAQs below if you have any questions.
If you’ve already registered and would like to either create a new team or join an existing one, log into your account and click on the “change team membership” option on the right hand side of your dashboard tab (on mobile you’ll need to click “dashboard” first). View this video tutorial for more help.
There's now an app to make it even easier to raise funds and receive updates!
Click below to get started!
And don't forget about all the ways you can FUNdraise!
Ways You Can Help
Volunteer at the Event
Event Committee and Day-of Walk volunteers are always needed and we cannot be successful without them!
Send an email to email@example.com to sign-up today! Thank you!
Sponsoring the Greater Shenandoah Valley/Charlottesville Walk shows your community and employees that your business cares about mental health and preventing suicide. Become a partner to help stop this leading cause of death.
Fundraise to Help #StopSuicide
$150+ - Raise $150 by 10/15/2022 and receive the official Out of the Darkness Walk t-shirt! * Donations can be made to a team as a whole, but the T-shirt and other incentives are based only on INDIVIDUAL fundraising.
Promote the Walk in Your Community!
Follow us on social! @OOTDWalks
Post on your social accounts and share why you walk with your community!
Become a Team Captain
Be sure to follow all of the steps after registering to get that fundraising going! *Update your page and pic * Make a self-donation* Utilize Participant Hub *
Create a FB Fundraiser through your account or it will not connect to your page! This is super easy in the app btw (wink wink)
Is there a registration fee?
No, there is no registration fee to participate.
If I raise enough money, will my whole team get a shirt?
No. The event shirts are only given to individuals who raise $150. If your whole team wants a shirt, each member must raise $150.
How do I make an offline donation?
To send a donation by check, please complete this form and send it with your check to the address provided.
Is there a fundraising minimum?
No, but we strongly encourage each participant to set a $150 fundraising goal to help support AFSP's work to stop suicide and receive the official walk t-shirt!
Can I register at the Walk? Yes! You can register in-person at the Walk from the time check-in begins until the walk starts. Walk donations are accepted until December 31st.
Can I bring my dog? Yes! Friendly, leashed dogs are welcome at the Walk.
Parking, route, and other info will be updated as we get closer to Walk Day.
For additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Day-of Experience: Resources & Activities
Stop by the AFSP Store for merchandise, pick-up beads at the Honor Bead tent, and more!
Honor Beads will be available on-site to show your connection(s) to the cause.
Hope & Healing
Share messages of hope and remembrance.
Register by clicking the button at the top of the page
Thank you participants, volunteers, donors, and sponsors for your support! Together, we can save lives and bring hope.
If you or someone you know is in a crisis, please call 1-800-273-8255 or text TALK to 741-741