Fall 2021 Out of the Darkness Community Walks
Thank you for your ongoing support of the Out of the Darkness Walks and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
Now, more than ever, it’s important to be there for one another and take steps to safeguard our mental health and prevent suicide.
Since our Out of the Darkness Walks primarily take place outdoors, we are moving forward with plans to return to in-person events beginning fall 2021. The health and safety of our participants, staff and volunteers is the top priority as plans develop in your community, and we'll continue to offer options to participate online and in your neighborhood. Please refer to your local Walk page for details regarding your event.
Register today and be part of the movement coming #TogetherToFightSuicide.
In accordance with the most recent CDC recommendations*:
- In locations with no state/local mandates - no one is required to wear a face mask for entry. Everyone is welcome to wear a mask if they feel safer doing so.
- In locations with state/local mandates –we will follow the state or local regulations and continue to request all participants wear a face mask or face shield.
- Participants who are not vaccinated or are part of a high risk population are strongly encouraged to wear a mask. We will not be verifying vaccination status at AFSP Walks.
- Participants who wish to wear a face mask but forget to bring one may receive one from one of our event volunteers.
- We are encouraging everyone to try to keep 6' of space between themselves and others outside of their household.
- We are striving to ensure on-site restrooms as well as hand-washing or hand-sanitizing station at every event.
- We're asking participants, volunteers, sponsors, vendors, and staff to stay home if they're sick, if they’ve been exposed to COVID-19 in the last 14 days or are showing COVID-19 symptoms. Additionally, participants who live with those at higher risk should also consider the potential risk to their loved ones.
We also encourage you to register, fundraise, and donate online to make your day-of event experience as safe and streamlined as possible.
Please note - there is inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 in any place where people gather. By attending an event, you assume all risks, hazards, and dangers arising from or relating in any way to the risk of contracting a communicable disease or illness—including, without limitation, exposure to COVID-19 or any other bacteria, virus, or other pathogen capable of causing a communicable disease or illness, whether that exposure occurs before, during, or after the event, and regardless of how caused or contracted—and you hereby waive any and all claims and potential claims against the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), Out of the Darkness Event Venue, and Event Organizers, —and against any companies affiliated with AFSP or the Event Organizer—relating to such risks, hazards, and dangers.
As before, our goal is to continue to provide a safe environment for our participants and volunteers, while following public health advice and applicable laws. We will continue to update this page as national guidelines from the CDC become available. In the meantime, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
Thank you again for your continued dedication and support.
*This page was last updated June 15, 2021