Suicide claims more lives than war, murder, and natural disasters combined.
Learn the latest statistics on suicide. Data on suicide are taken from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Data & Statistics Fatal Injury Report for 2018, as of March 1, 2020. Suicide rates listed are Age-Adjusted Rates.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US
- In 2018, 48,344 Americans died by suicide
- In 2018, there were an estimated 1.4M suicide attempts
Additional facts about suicide in the US
- The age-adjusted suicide rate in 2018 was 14.2 per 100,000 individuals.
- The rate of suicide is highest in middle-aged white men.
- In 2018, men died by suicide 3.56x more often than women.
- On average, there are 132 suicides per day.
- White males accounted for 69.67% of suicide deaths in 2018.
- In 2018, firearms accounted for 50.57% of all suicide deaths.
Learn more at afsp.org or call 888-333-AFSP.